Tuesday 15 September 2015

Ponderosa by Manderines and a new knitting book.

Hello my friends, I'm back today to let you know about another test knit that I've finished and has just been released. It's called Ponderosa by Manderines and is a gorgeous slouchy beanie hat, knit in DK so perfect for those cooler Autumn days when the tempreture is dropping and the leaves are changing colour. It's a fun knit with lots of texture and Melody cleverly replicates the shape of the pine trees from her beloved woods in Latvia.

Melody has a video podcast called Manderines which is one of my favourite podcasts to watch, she has such a beautiful, gentle way about her. As well as her fabulous knitting she brings a touch of Latvia and nature to us, if you've never watched, I highly recommend you take a look.

I always use 16" circulars for knitting hats and then DPNs for the decreases when the hat gets too small for the circular needles. The pattern calls for a 3.75mm but I only had 4mm so used them, the hat came out slightly bigger but I like slouchy hats so it wasn't a problem. There are two sizes so if you don't like too much slouch you can knit the smaller size though as you can probably guess, I went with the large size. I also went up a needle size for the rib, I used 3.5mm instead of 3.25mm.

I used Rowan Purelife British Sheep Breeds DK which is an undyed natural wool, the breed I bought was BFL so is very soft with a lovely drape. I really liked using this yarn and got it at a bargain price of £1.50 per 50g ball, I bought enough for a sweater so need to find the perfect pattern for it now.

I also wanted to share this new book that I've just received, I pre-ordered at the beginning of August and have been patiently waiting for its release in September. It's called Loop's 10 and celebrates Loop's 10th Anniversary.

It was definitely worth the wait with 12 stunning patterns including shawls, accessories, garments and even a little girls cardigan. It's a beautiful, well laid out book with amazing photography and written descriptions of the projects and yarn used which they've had especially dyed for the occasion. I think these two yarns from The Wool Barn will become an Islington Shawl by Kirsten Kapur, a gorgeous two colour project.

The first project that I'm going to cast on though, is the Bunty Cardigan by Donna Higgins, a classic top down cardigan with a crochet picot edge. I'm going to knit the 0-3 months size but does go up to age 4 years.

My yarn is caked and I'm ready to cast on, I'm using Hartlams Alldays 100 Sock in Fields of Gold, which was an exclusive colour for The Golden Skein, Power of Three Club. It's 100% Superwash Bluefaced Leicester 4ply.

I'm linking this post to Nicole's KCCO and Ginny's Yarn Along, thank you for stopping by, have a great week.

xxxxDebxxxx

 

9 comments:

momto5 said...

LOVE all those colorways you are using. <3

Caffeine Girl said...

That is a beautiful hat,and I will definitely check out the video cast.
I love Kristin Kapur's designs. They are always beautiful and well-written. I do find some of them challenging!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh you have some very fabulous plans there and I love the colour of that golden yarn, what perfect knitting for this time of year!

Stefanie said...

You always choose lovely yarn, Deb. I can't wait to see more of your newest projects.

Lucy Bowen said...

Love the look of the hat, such a lovely wintery colour. I love the colours you have picked out for your next projects.

Ravenna said...

I am loving the colors as well. So warm and inviting.

Rednesty said...

Love, love, love Melody's podcast. I have downloaded Ponderosa and it will be my next knit. I had already seen your Ponderosa - it is just beautiful. That book looks lovely and i adore your yarn choices, especially the gold {www.hedgerowharvest.com/blog}

Jo said...

HI Deb, your knitting is always so delicate. I am about to cast on some chunky! Jo x

elns said...

I literally wince when I come here and before I've even read the post see such lovely yarn and knit enticing photos! I can't wait to see your first cardigan project. The picot edging will be lovely touch. But you can't woo me this time, I'm already in the weeds with my in progress and already distracted enough by some new ideas floating around. I'll enjoy watching your projects knit up. I'll have to put the book on my library to review list.

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...