Tuesday 10 December 2013

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...........



I'll start off by apologising, it's an extra long post today, so you may want to make yourself a hot drink and settle down, while you listen to me waffling on about Christmas.
It's one of my favourite times of the year, I just love everything about it from decorating the tree, to shopping, watching Christmas films, wrapping the gifts and of course spending time with my family.
I have all my family around Christmas Day, 15 of us all together, it's hectic but fun, my Dad dresses up as Santa and delivers all our presents, the kids love it and even though my girls are grown up they still get very excited. I hope they look back at their Christmases in years to come and remember all the good times and traditions we had.



Our pink themed Christmas tree went up, the last weekend in November, it's not very traditional but I love it, especially the fluffy feather boas. We did try just putting just the silver decorations up this year but we sat there looking at it and wasn't happy so on went the pink!!!!


My first Christmas outing was to a local village to watch the Christmas lights been switched on. Santa stopped by and all the quaint  little shops were open, all looking very festive with their beautiful window displays.




My Christmas cards have been made, I just need to write them now, I've gone with three quick designs, I love shabby chic cards but they are very time consuming so for Christmas I go for a more clean and simple look. The Merry Christmas wreath card is very traditional, while the snowflake card is more contemporary with the colours of aqua and red and then the Holly card is middle of the road using traditional gold and glitter but with kraft card.


Our next little trip was to Birmingham, where we got my Christmas present and then visited the Frankfurt German Market. This has been part of our Christmas tradition for a few years, now, it really gets me in the holiday spirit.


We had a wonder around, looking at the different stalls, I always end up buying a new tree decoration. I loved watching the ice skaters, this year, the rink hasn't been here for a few years, I just wish I was brave enough to have a go.



We had to stop for a short break and get some fried potatoes, mushrooms with garlic sauce and a mug of hot Gluh Wein, mmmmmmm, delicious.


We also popped onto The Jointstock for a drink, it's such a beautiful building and it had the biggest tree that I'd ever seen indoors, it was at least 30 foot high and decorated so pretty!!!!!!!


I've had my first festive Costa coffee, I went for the Salted Caramel skinny latte, yummy!!!


On Saturday, Paige and I went to see The Nutcracker, performed by the Birmingham Royal Ballet. It's the first time we'd seen it and it was absolutely amazing!!!! This could be a new Christmas tradition for us. The costumes and the set were breathtaking, the ballerina's so graceful, it really was a treat to watch.


One last little thing, today I decided to buy a real tree for the conservatory, we haven't had one for a few years. I'm the only one who likes real Christmas trees, I love the smell and I love that they're not a perfect shape or stand straight, it's all part of the charm.So as you can see it really is beginning to look a lot like Christmas at the Hickman house. 

Thanks for stopping by and listening to me waffle on, you can probably tell we love Christmas in our house, it was a bit of a long post, so if you made it to the end, thank you,lol. I'd love to hear about your Christmas traditions.

xxxxDebxxxx

17 comments:

ColourMeCrochet said...

It's a lovely post Deb and great to be sharing part of your Christmas with you.
Take care
Sally xxx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh I love love love your tree!!! And loving your cards and the photos too!!! Brookie and I just went to see the Nutcracker also!! It was our first time!!!!!!

Lynnda said...

Love your cards .... Gorgeous tree Deb!!! and I'm enjoying these photos.... Awesome... hugs...x

Stefanie said...

You have beautiful Christmas spirit. Love the cards. Your tree is tre chic! The boa is a fabulous addition.

Jennifer Hays said...

It's all looking very lovely and festive at your house. I love the pink boa tree! Your handmade cards are beautiful. Thank you for the update. :)

Unknown said...

Looks like you are really enjoying the Christmas season. And I love your Tree so pretty and so are your cards.. I have seen the Nutcracker a couple of time, It is fabulous..

I hope you enjoy your week my friend.

Hugs~

Paperesse said...

An excellent post, Deb! Love the photos (great one of you btw) and the cards! Thanks for sharing!

gilly said...

Ooh, love your pink & silver tree, and your stylish cards. Waiting for my sis-in-law to arrive from SA then we're planning a trip into Brum too :-)
Enjoy all the festivities,
Xx

Amy at love made my home said...

Both of your trees are very pretty. Looks as though you are having lots of fun with your Christmas preparations, hope that this week is good too. xx

Hannapat said...

It most certainly seems like you have been getting in the mood for Christmas. Both your trees look lovely and like you I am definitely a real tree kinda gal. Last year we bought a potted tree from Sainsburys for our conservatory and this year it has come back in. I reckon we will have many years use out of the £10 we spent last year. I always want to go to Birmingham to the markets, but sadly I am not quite there yet. How wonderful to go and see the nutcracker, another one of my dreams, it is such a wonderful story. Enjoy your week and feeling festive xoxo

Hannapat said...

P.S Forgot to say how amazing your cards are!! xoxo

Ros Crawford said...

What a pretty tree all in pink and I love your conservatory one too ... Those markets are fun! Lovely cards too Deb!

Jo said...

Nice post Deb, I always go for simplicity in my Christmas card making too. My dad talked about taking the girls to the Nutcracker but I didn't know if they could sit that long - they go to ballet on a Saturday so maybe next time. Jo x

~Tammy~ said...

Deb, wishing you the Merriest of Christmas cheer! Your spirit and love shows! The market looks like so much! Right up my alley! Your cards are perfection! Have a GREAT rest of your week!

Unknown said...

Love reading about your fun outing Deb and looking at your lovely photos. Your CAS cards are perfect, spot on, wish I could do CAS like you! So pretty! Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Ladybird Diaries said...

What a lovely post! Your Christmas cards are so nice and I love your pink themed tree!
Marianne x

elns said...

After reading your post, I'm feeling some more Christmas spirit. I like it! I love that your tree is sporting pink boas. I like the pink deer ornament too! Makes me want a unicorn for mine. I know, off topic, but it speaks to me. I feel like I'm running out of time this holiday season, but I'm smiling a lot, and I am ready to bake!

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...