Wednesday 18 July 2012

Whoo Hoo Wednesday......Thrifted Dress Patterns.

Hi there, it's Whoo Hoo Wednesday over at Inspired by Stamping and it's my turn to share a technique with you. I love looking around charity shops for vintage buttons, ribbons, threads and especially old dress making patterns. They are pennies to buy and they are great for crafting, my favourite thing to do with them is making flowers, you can make so many flowers from just one pattern. Here's how I make my flowers.


This pattern only cost me 50p, bargain !!!!!


Choose a die or some flower punches and cut out lots of layers of different size flowers.


I also add some lace, fabric, hessian or whatever you have lying around in your sewing box.


Layer all your flowers and poke a hole through the centre and attach a brad, you could also sew a button in the middle to keep it together.


Once your flowers are secure scrunch all the petals up to the centre, as little or as much as you want depending on the effect you want. When you have scrunched start opening the petals back out until you are happy with how your flower looks.


Here's my finshed flower.



I've kept my card quite simple as the flower is fairly big and I wanted that as the focal point but you could just make lots of small ones, why not make a batch of different ones so they are ready to use as you need them.

Supplies
Stamps- DaisiesLabels 4,
Papers- My Minds Eye Miss Caroline.
Other- K & Co brad, SU pearls.



Dress patterns can be used for other things too, you could use it as your background paper or like I've done here I glued a couple of layers onto chipboard using Glue & Seal, once dry die cut out any shape you want. I used the Sizzix TH Sewing Room and I'll use these on a card very soon.

Thanks for looking.
xxxxDebxxxx

18 comments:

Kashi said...

I LoVe that flower. Nice work.

Ros Crawford said...

Lovely shabby flower Deb ... have a good day!

Tangled Sweetpea said...

Such a pretty flower Deb!
Victoria xx

Sarah said...

Fabulous flower, Demo-Deb! x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

That flower and your card are just beautiful!!! I loveeeeeeeeee it!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

jacirascrap said...

Que flor adorável...obrigada por compartilhar...

Unknown said...

Gorgeous flower Deb, love the shabby chic feel!! Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Love the flower Deb! I've got some unwanted sewing patterns lying around my workspace! I think you've given me the inspiration to adapt them! Great ideas and tutorials!

Sarah x

Stefanie said...

So clever how you upcycle to create new things!

Stella said...

I love love love that flower; brilliant idea. Have a fabulous day!
XX

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful work and lovely handmade flower!

Lynnda said...

how clever this is!!! Love the flower.... amazingly done... hugs...xoxo

~Tammy~ said...

Everything about this is amazing! I am anxiously awaiting to see what you make with the dress form!!!!


Once again, Gorgeous!

Sue Lelli said...

Watch out Prima! YOUR flower is just GORGEOUS! LOVE the different fabrics you added, too! I will have to try this when my crafty things get unpacked in September. I can really see that it would be so much fun to make bunches of these to use as you need them. THX for the deets and the inspiration, Deb!

stitchin' girl said...

WOW!! These look great, but what a HUGE amount of work.

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous flower.. Thanks for sharing it with us! Looks so pretty on the card.

Colleen Dietrich said...

FABulous vintage, shabby chic flower, Deb! The way you arranged everything on the card is equally lovely. Love the sprinkling of pearls. :)

Michelle said...

Wow! Deb, this flower is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! I'm off to create my own!

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...